Monday, July 23, 2007

You'll Have to See It To Believe It

The title may be misleading, because if you've attended church for very long, you probably have seen it.

Without further ado, from the church I attended during High School and shortly after college.
      • Bible Boot Camp.
        • Update: Playdoh was passed out before the speech as an object lesson.

In one of the videos, during the music portion of the event, one of the electric guitarists was wearing a coconut bra! Fortunately they took the video down. I don't have conclusive evidence as to why, but I have reason to think that they were tipped off that a coconut bra had no place in a service where people gather to worship the Triune God.

Question 1: Is this type of sermon what you are accustom to in your church?

Question 2: What is right or wrong about this approach to "preaching"?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too funny. Is this for real?

Dusty Deevers said...

"You'll have to see it to believe it."

Anonymous said...

Oh how it all comes back. You know what is the most amusingly-yet-staggering fact about all of this? No one in the congregation seem to have a problem with this sort of service. It's comical, shallow (in the strict denotative sense) and it's quick. I heard the other day that when St. Augustine preached HE sat and the congregation stood and listened...attentively.

"You may play with the playdoh during service." -Kris

Are you kidding me?

Anonymous said...

I watched about half the video until I turned purple. I'm too young to have stroke so I stopped it. However, the reality of it all is that this stuff goes on by the dumptruck loads every Sunday. I just pray that God uses our generation to bring orthodoxy and orthopraxy back to the church alongwith respect and dignity.